Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Julius Caesar Essay Reflection




Ideas and Content
I think that in my Julius Caesar essay that my body paragraphs stay in keeping with the topic. For example in my first body paragraph,discussing Caesars motivation of power, I discuss money reputation and status as well. This stays in keeping with orginazation of my paragraphs, and prevents the readers from being confused. My writing could greatly be improved though, if I had taken more time to read over my essay I could have made my ideas more understandable by correcting sentences that do not make sense. For example when I discuss Caesar ignoring his wifes fears, the sentence in not fully understandable and takes away from the overall idea of the paragraph.

Organization
In my essay Julius Caesar, one of the main points to be critiqued was the organization of the paragraphs. I believe that my paragraphs were well organized with a clear topic sentence (Eg. His main motivation, which is what allows him to be so power-hungry is his ambition). This is a good example of one of the topic sentences in my essay. It shows theme and clearly states what is to be discussed in the paragraph. The quotes are embedded correctly into the paragraphs (Eg. For he simply states "I am as constant as the Northern Star" [Pg. 108 Line 60]). Every topic ends well and the introduction was fairly well written though it was difficult to isolate the thesis statement. The conclusion was also not as well written as the rest of the essay. It had a few confusing sentences and did not fully reestablish all the points discussed in the essay. If I had taken more time to work on my introduction and conclusion I am sure I would've had a much stronger essay. In the beginning of my essay, I also had difficulty in sequencing which I believe overall effected my grade.

Personal Growth
Comparing this essay to some of the others essays I have written in the past I am proud of it. I believe that this is one of the most well organized essays I have written comparing it to some of the essays written while I was in TASIS. I believe that I was able to take what I have learned in TASIS and what I have learned from my humanities teachers here, and was able to apply it to this essay. Though I still struggle with grammar in my essay, I believe my ideas and points are clear, and I am proud of my essay. It was an intresting topic and I enjoyed learning about Julius Caesar.

SLR Reflection
I believe that this essay is a good example of the SLR think creativley. In order to complete this essay we had to learn to embed quotes and express our ideals. It taught us organization and challenged us to write creativley while maintaining the essay format. It also is a good example of reason critically since we had to explain our ideas, and prove that the motivating factors for our characters were correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment